- JOB IDENTIFICATION
Job Title: Accounting Assistant
Department: Finance and Accounting
Reporting to: Accountant
- JOB SUMMARY
Provide required accounting support for the day to day functioning of the Finance and Accounting Unit in keeping with the overall business demands and operational standards of the organization.
- KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITY
Payables & Treasury
- Process payments (cheque, wire transfers, ACH) to suppliers in a timely manner based on invoices approved for payment.
- Update bank and cash report on a daily basis
- Maintain petty cash and complete a cash reconciliation at each month end
- Compute and complete VAT Return to ensure timely payments.
- Prepare payments to relevant statutory authorities and arrange for payment on or before required dates.
- Maintain proper ledgers, journals, accounts and financial records to ensure that an accurate projection of the organization’s position is available.
- Create and maintain a supplier database for easy retrieval of data.
- Prepare cheques and payment vouchers
- Liaise with internal and external suppliers regarding payments
- Call suppliers to inform of un-cleared cheque(s) status and maintain a log of actions taken
- Liaise with bank(s) to query/confirm direct bank deposits
- Properly file all invoices and maintain filing system in easily accessible.
- Maintain system for recording of payments, issue purchase orders for all goods and services excluding utilities, tax and payroll liabilities.
- Maintain accurate file/archive re: accounting records in a secure and efficient manner.
- Count and order supplies to maintain stationery and consumables inventories at approved minimum levels.
- Reconcile all Bank Accounts, Payables, receivables, inter Company Credit Card and Fixed Assets.
- Process clients’ Payroll as required
- Purchase, maintain and disburse stationery and consumables
- Perform monthly and year-end consumable counts.
- Prepare journals
- Assist with invoicing, receipt preparation and receivables as needed
- Assist in audit preparation
- Draft relevant reports for review
- Update and maintain fixed assets register and verify assets.
- Perform other related accounting duties as required
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- in Accounting, ACCA Level II or any equivalent combination of training and experience
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience performing accounts payable and/or procurement duties
- Proficient knowledge in Peachtree Accounting Software and Microsoft Office Suite applications
- REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Attention to detail
- Accounting and/or administrative experience
- Efficient Time Management
- Ability to multi-task
- Lateral thinker with strong problem-solving and analytical capabilities and flexibility of approach
- Ability to undertake assigned project work and to ensure follow through to completion, plus use of initiative in completion of many tasks Personal competence in the use of computer based word processing, spreadsheet and accounting systems
- Good communication (oral & written) and interpersonal skills